Bere Alston Bowling Club is a lawn green bowling club situated in the Bere peninsula, between the rivers Tamar and Tavy. Its origins lie in the once thriving local mining industry and market gardening sector. At one time, the mainline trains to London would stop at the village to pick up locally grown produce destined for the capital.
We have been at our new club since April 2011, after more than 20 years at our old site.
During the first season of this chapter we played host to over 50 bowling clubs from around the country including Bowls England (with also a spot on the local television station).
We play mainly mixed games but we do compete in both men's and ladies leagues throughout the season.
Our club house has been designed to accommodate 3 short mats, so the season need never end.
The clubhouse has been equipped with a kitchen and a licensed bar so it can be used for a variety of events.
The lawn is surrounded by shrubs and beautiful views these can be admired from the club house or the club house veranda.
Please take some time to have a look through our pages we hope you enjoy it.
Bowls is a sport that takes seconds to learn – but a lifetime to master…
We believe everybody should realize the joy and benefit of playing sport, and there are so many reasons why bowls is ideally placed to unlock these fantastic advantages.
Here are our top 5 reasons to give bowls a try:
1. Playing bowls is very doable. Whatever your physique, bowls is a sport for everybody and it will help improve your fitness levels and mental wellbeing.
2. Bowls is not expensive. To get going you don’t need lots of new kit and clubs put on taster sessions for free. Even when you get the bug, a set of bowls and joining a club can cost as little as £90.
3. After football, bowls has the second highest number of clubs in the country. With so many places to play, it’ll take no time at all to get to a bowls club close to your home.
4. Compared to most sports, age and gender differences have less of an effect on a game of bowls, so it’s a perfect sport to spend time and enjoy a bit of friendly competition with your family.
5. Bowls clubs are sociable places full of people looking to have fun, so bowls is a great way to relax, make new friends and feel part of your local community.